Guitar Rabbit is an iPad app that helps you master your guitar.
Sharpen your axe skills with this streamlined, interactive guitar tutor that listens to you play your REAL guitar and charts your progress through a full fretboard workout of over 30 exercises and quizzes.
Areas targeted include finding all the note names on the fretboard quickly, finger dexterity warmups, and learning the major, melodic minor, harmonic minor, pentatonic and blues scales inside out.
Tab and fretboard diagrams show you what to play, and the built in graphing tuner gives you useful feedback on the clarity and accuracy of your playing.
The exercises have been specially selected to flow together smoothly as a daily practice routine, and are particularly rewarding when you can see your skills improving each day in the charts. We call this the Stairway to Shredding!
By far the best guitar app ever for learning. It listens to you in real time, giving you instant feedback. Awesome! It also charts progress and I have seen improvement week after week.
Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!
- Sound check (check everything is plugged in and turned up!)
- Pitch graph (hint: test your whammy bar skills here!)
- Tune up with built in tuner and set how many frets you want to practice on (12-24)
- Note names quiz (fretboard diagram shows you where to play if you get stuck)
- Note names in octaves quiz
- Note names on every string quiz
- Left hand finger dexterity warmup
- Chromatic position shifting warmup
- String skipping picking warmup
- Pentatonic patterns (play a note to pick a key)
- Blues patterns
- Triad arpeggios (play a note to pick a key)
- One string major scale
- Major scale snake
- Major scale two string harmony
- Three notes per string major scale
- Major scale quiz
- One string melodic minor scale
- Melodic minor scale snake
- Melodic minor scale two string harmony
- Three notes per string melodic minor scale
- Melodic minor scale quiz
- One string harmonic minor scale
- Harmonic minor scale snake
- Harmonic minor scale two string harmony
- Three notes per string harmonic minor scale
- Harmonic minor scale quiz
- Left hand finger dexterity challenge (hard version!)
- Left hand finger dexterity shifting challenge (hard version!)
- String skipping picking challenge (hard version!)
- Chromatic permutation challenge
- Left hand trills exercise
Play through and swipe to repeat or skip anything as desired. The touch interface is based only on taps and swipes and is so simple that you can navigate it with your big toe, leaving both hands free to wield your axe!
Exercises are at your own tempo and rhythm, so take as long (or as short!) as you need to learn something. For more of a challenge, play along to a beat. Random variations are automatically generated to ensure thorough coverage and help break out of ruts. This builds the skills and knowledge you need for improvising your own music. Swipe down on any tab to enter a special drill mode to aid memorization.
Guitars (sold separately ;-)
Guitar Rabbit should work well with most 6 string guitars with 12 to 24 frets in standard tuning (EADGBE). Plug in an electric guitar with a guitar interface such as iTrack Solo, iTrack Studio, iTrack Dock, or iTrack Pocket from Focusrite; or iRig, iRig 2, iRig PRO, or iRig STOMP from IK Multimedia. We've even tried an old Rocksmith cable with a USB to Lightning adaptor and that worked fine too. Acoustic guitars are also supported via the iPad's built in microphone.
Guitar Rabbit does NOT require audio output or try to generate effects or beats, so with an ABY splitter pedal you can send a clean signal to the iPad and then send the other signal to your normal effects pedals/amp/mixer and use your own backing tracks. This guarantees no latency or undesireable noises creeping into your sound! Or you can run with your favorite amp simulator app in the background, e.g. Amplitube. Our "old school" approach loads instantly leaving more time for you to actually practice, with the tone you like!
FREE: Guitar Rabbit Tuner, the coolest free guitar tuner for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Based on the pitch detection in the full version of Guitar Rabbit
FUN: GuitarMail, turn your guitar into an internet typewriter! Compose emails, tweets and Facebook posts with your guitar and any iOS device.
Code ~ Anton Kirczenow
The Rabbit ~ Francis Pang